The ill-tempered, fast-talking general that kickstarted the new wave of national hero movies inspired us (and made us laugh) with his no-holds-barred personality back in 2015. Wonderfully played by John Arcilla, Heneral Luna is a must-watch if you’re “Pinoy Pride” spirits are high. Heneral Luna may not have been part of the Battle of Bataan, but his intentions were very much the same - all for the love for our country. Now, here are some jingoistic lines from the film that you should always remember.
1. "Kung panaginip lamang ang umasa sa pag-unlad, managinip tayo hanggang sa kamatayan."
Never stop moving forward. Even if it starts with hoping - just hoping - we never stop.
2. “Walang naka-aangat sa batas. Kahit pa presidente.”
The law is the law. Is it always just? Well, we can’t really speak for that one. What do you think?
3. "Ganito ba talaga ang tadhana natin, Paco? Kalaban ang kalaban? Kalaban ang kakampi? Nakakapagod."
A clear example of what we shouldn’t think of. Once we start doubting, it will only get harder.
4. "Mas madali pang pagkasunduin ang langit at lupa kaysa dalawang Pilipino tungkol sa kahit na anong bagay."
Ughhh...this actually speaks for itself. It’s a harsh reality, but it’s the truth.
5. “May mas malaki tayong kalaban kaysa sa mga Amerikano - ang ating sarili.”
The truth is, we can never really win a war against ourselves, but we can win every small battle within us, and every time we grow more, is an actual victory.
6. "Kung pagpapalaya sa mga traydor ang pakikipolitika, ayokong maging bahagi niyan."
It’s not that you shouldn’t care - come on, there will always be dirt in politics - but it’s best to steer clear if the danger is right in front of you. Don’t play the blind man.
7. "Malaking trabaho ang ipagkaisa ang bansang watak-watak.”
We may be an archipelago, but the Philippines IS a GROUP of islands. It’s ONE nation and let’s always think of it as that.